Thursday, June 28, 2012

Stop Discriminating Already!

Last Saturday, the annual Pride Parade was held in San Francisco and, while I didn't attend this year, I've been thinking quite a bit about the struggle to legalize same-sex marriage and to put an end to discrimination and homophobia.

The question I find myself wondering is, when will we finally get it through our thick skulls that all people are equal? The battle being fought against homophobia is the same battle that was – and still is – fought against racism and misogyny. It's as if we have to go through the same debate over and over. How is it that opponents of same-sex marriage and those who harbor biased opinions fail to see the historical parallels?

I understand that, when people are raised to believe their way of life is the only morally acceptable one, they are quick to discriminate against others. And I know that many people who don't have the opportunity to be exposed to ways of life different from their own are not given the chance to meet new people and, as a result, learn and grow. But seriously, is it that hard to grasp the concept that we're all just people?

 



No comments:

Post a Comment