Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Strangest Things Cats Have Dragged In

A few months ago, Catster Managing Editor Vicky Walker wrote about how her cat brought in a series of baby possums (which, thankfully, all survived the ordeal). We then asked Catster Magazine readers to weigh in and share all the weird and wonderful presents their cats have brought them over the years, and some of the responses almost threw us out of our chairs. How, for instance, does a cat manage to bring a rooster home?! Or a six-pack of mice?

Here are some of our favorites from our reader story round-up. For more stories, see the original piece that ran on Catster: "What Did the Cat Drag In? Catster Readers Tell All."

Reader Aletta says: Up from the basement, proud as can be, came Fluff with the woodpecker, bigger than her, in her mouth. I hollered "Let it go!" and she did. The poor bird didn't know what to do. Thankfully it flew into a corner bedroom. I opened a window, but it would not fly out and sat on a hanging picture, pecking at the wall. I finally decided to drop the top half of the window while my back was to the bird so he felt safe, and he flew past me out the window.

Reader Carol writes: My husband and I started out life together in a second-floor apartment located in a big old house (family had 12 kids) near downtown in Mandan, ND. Very woodsy area. One night I woke up to strange scritchy noises. I got a bit freaked and woke my husband, Bob, and then got up to turn on a light down the hall from the bedroom.

There on the dresser to hubby's left was a little brown bat, sitting and stretching his wings. I'm not one of those women who gets all in a dither about bats, or snakes, or spiders, but I really didn't want a bat flying around. Bob got up to go to the kitchen to retrieve a broom to knock it to the floor so he could capture it, and did.

After a couple such occurrences, we figured out that our cat, Thunder, had found his way onto the roof over the porch at the old house (no window screens, no air conditioning, July) and was catching the bats and releasing them indoors. We in turn released them again, and yelled at the landlord for window screens.

Reader Louise writes: The weirdest thing my dearly departed Petie the Cat (March 24, 2012) brought in was six tiny baby mice. He did the same thing — brought them in through the cat door. He put them in my husband's shoe for a morning surprise. Sadly, they were not as lucky as your possums.

Care2 readers, what's the weirdest thing your cat has presented you with? And do read about how one of our readers on Catster once brought in a small rooster.

Related:
Top 10 Pet Assistants
Cat Massages Stuffed Animal
Noisy Foster Kittens' First Bath



No comments:

Post a Comment